Here are 13 things that only truly dance-obsessed people will understand.
1. Tap Dancing in Public. Chances are if you took tap you will never forget your shuffle ball-changes and when you’re bored you will do them in public. Waiting in line is an especially tempting time.
2. Car Dancing. We’re all guilty of car dancing when a song you had a dance to comes on. This often involves short movements that look quite silly since you can’t perform full out in sequins in your car.
3. The Sock Bun. We had this thing down pat before it was popular with the plebes. We did it when you actually used a sock with the toe cut off instead of those pre-made roll things (which defeats the point of calling it a sock bun).
4.Dance is a valid excuse for getting out of practically anything. “You want me to go to brunch this weekend? I would love to, but I have this dance thing that I can’t miss.”
5.Dance is always in season. As a lover of all things dance you start thinking about holiday performances in summer, and summer dance intensives in winter, while you think about your spring show choreography in fall and your fall auditions in spring. Oy vey!
6.It’s possible to spend several days binging on dance films and documentaries. Seriously, who knew that a dance search on YouTube is like sailing into the Bermuda Triangle. But just beware, your loved ones may be planning an intervention.
7.Dancers are cooler than superheroes. Sure, superheroes wear tights and have cool capes, but dancers change costumes faster than Superman and are arguably more dedicated to their work than Batman.
8.There’s no such thing as “background music.” You’re stepping, grooving or making up dances to that beat, even if you keep it to yourself to appear “normal.”
9. Walking to the counts of the music. You’re at the club and your jam comes on. You’re leading the way to the dance floor and you better bet you’re stomping it out to the counts of the music.
10. Actually just counting music. You can’t forget how to do this. You can pick up at any point in the song and find the beat to count. And I mean any point and any song.
11. Core Muscles. Since dance focuses on using core muscles, the muscles there are the strongest (duh). This means we can do endless sit ups and squats. And we will forever have “thunder thighs” and I take that term as a compliment.
12. You’ve spent hours watching dance tutorials on YouTube trying to learn Beyoncé choreography. You still remember all the moves to “Single Ladies.”
13. Your mood is directly influenced by whatever music is currently playing and if you can bop around to it.